Economic Analysis on Social Policy
Course schedule and reading list
First half of this course offers an introduction to impact evaluation by presenting a detailed analysis of quantitative research underlying recent program evaluations and case studies. This course works extensively with Stata.
Second half of this course discusses health systems reforms in the Asia-Pacific Region.
I. Impact evaluation
1. Introduction to impact evaluation
Basic issues of evaluation
2. How to evaluate
1) Randomized impact evaluation
2) Propensity score matching
3) Double difference (Difference-in-differences)
4) Instrumental variable estimation
5) Regression discontinuity design
6) Measuring distributional program effects
3. How to implement an impact evaluation
1) Choosing the sample
2) Collecting data
II. Comparative analysis of health systems reforms in the Asia-Pacific region
1. Handbook on impact evaluation: quantitative methods and practices, The World Bank, 2010
3. Primary Health Care: Now more then ever, World Health Organization, 2008
4. The Economics of Public Health Care Reform in Advanced and Emerging Economies, International Monetary Fund, 2012
Based on class participation, homework assignment, and the term paper.